Skip to content

Nothing Is So Precious…

This story is the perfect illustration of Frank O’Cain’s statement that no painting should be so precious that you are afraid to try to improve it.  Or, the stupid things we do when we aren’t thinking.

I wanted to do a painting of the organic debris found in the water on Breidafjörður, Iceland.  The water was a sort of steel gray and there were  yellow and green and brown plant bits, plus foam, all swirled around together by the currents from the boats and the tide.  I got the painting to a certain point and then didn’t know what else to do with it.  It wasn’t finished, but …   I needed some Frank O’Cain expert advice.

In the meantime, on the off chance that this would be a before and after example for this blog, I scanned the painting (which I was then calling Debris).

Debris ver. 1

Debris ver. 1

Ugh!  The colors in the scan were garish and I didn’t know what to do about that either. But looking at the scan made me realize some of the greens in the upper right corner were way too dark for the rest of the painting, so I decided to try and lighten them even before I showed it to Frank.

Debris ver. 2

Debris ver. 2

A little better, but the distorted colors in the scan were really awful.  Which meant that if I ever figured out how to fix this painting, I wouldn’t be able to put it on my website, because the colors would look all wrong.

Frank agreed I should continue to lighten the dark greens and then try to extend and intensify some of the lighter greens (emerald and olive) in the rest of the painting.

Debris ver. 3

Debris ver. 3

OK, the additional greens did help to unify the painting, but now some of them were too dark. Good thing this isn’t precious.

Then I  noticed a button on the scanner screen, “Color Restoration,” was checked. I tried unchecking it and Lo, and behold, my real colors were on the screen.  Who knew?!?  At that point, here’s what the painting really looked like.  One problem solved.

Debris ver. 4

Debris ver. 4

So I lightened a few of the greens …

Debris ver. 5

Debris ver. 5

OK.  Coming down the home stretch.  Still something not quite right and still not sure what to do about it.  So I show it to some artist friends of mine.  A lot of discussion later, we all agree that I really have two smaller paintings that work, instead of one large one. So I decide to cut it up:  one horizontal 6h x 9w from the lower right corner, and one vertical 9h x 6w from the lower left corner.  After all, it’s not precious.

I turn the painting over, measure it on the back and cut it up.  Looking at the now smaller paintings, I realize my mistake:  I cut the vertical painting from the horizontal corner, and vice versa.   OMG, how could I be so stupid?!!!  Wait, is there a way to salvage this?  It seems like there might now be four paintings (called Currents I, II, etc.).

So, in no particular order, here are the resulting paintings …

Currents I

Currents I

Currents II

Currents II

Currents III

Currents III

Currents IV

Currents IV

Whew!  Finally done.  And there’s one little piece left that I’m going to use as a bookmark.

But, one last look and … I’m not completely done after all.  A couple of these need some further adjustment if they are to stand on their own.  Maybe tomorrow, when I have more energy.

Looking back, I’m not sure I don’t prefer the pre-cut up larger painting.  Too late now. But that’s OK, it wasn’t so precious.

Posted by ruthhurd on October 23, 2012

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Comments Feed

%d bloggers like this: