Evolution of a Painting
My latest painting based on a recent trip to New Zealand went through several iterations before I decided it was finished. This is my description of how Into the Light went from there to here: the evolution of a painting.
First, I painted the basic shapes of the trees and forest land in very pale colors. I then added masking fluid where I wanted the light to shine through in the final painting.
Then I added more color to everything. The tree trunks are starting to look purple (brown is boring).
Again and again I added more color, and then more masking. The next step is to peel off the masking fluid using a “Lift-off Tool (a fancy name for a rubber eraser) to see what is left to do.
The remains of the masking now become a sculpture (using the term creatively).
Finally, I intensify some colors, in some cases painting into the areas previously covered by the masking. The process is very similar to what I used to do with watercolor. In fact, I have thinned the acrylic to the point where it functions like watercolor (although it’s permanent once it dries).
NOTE: This final image looks very much like the final painting. The previous images are “browned” because I used my iPhone in the studio at the Art Students League. In spite of this, I hope you can still get a good sense of how this painting evolved.